Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Isn't Maury Wills In Baseball's Hall of Fame?

As I was watching clips of this year's inductees into baseball's Hall of Fame, I kept wondering one thing-- why hasn't Maury Wills been inducted.
When I was growing up, I often snuck into the bathroom of our Southern California home listening to Dodger games. One of the players that kept my attention was Wills, the Dodgers' leadoff hitter.
During those years, Wills was often the table-setter for Dodger rallies as he terrified opposing pitchers with his base-stealing exploits. So prominent were his exploits that not only were they a subject of a popular song about the team sung by Danny Kaye in the early '60s.
In addition, his 104 stolen bases in 1962 broke the many-year-standing record of 96 steals set by Ty Cobb, and his work was instrumental in three Dodger world championship triumphs (1959, 1963, and 1965).
With a record like that, I wonder why those who select Hall of Famers haven't given him more consideration. For more about Wills, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment