Monday, July 27, 2009

Was Prof. Gates Victimized By Racial Profiling? I Say He Was!

This is a story that really strikes close to home for me, and I'm glad that Lawrence O'Donnell presented it the way he did tonight as guest host on "Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC.
Here's what O'Donnell reported tonight:

And here is the statement President Obama made that drew excessive fire from right-wing fear mongers who lack any sort of sensitivity toward the unjust sufferings minorities have endured from law enforcement officials through the years:

As one who was excessively questioned and searched by border agents during the 1990's in Southern California (perhaps because I had a foreign look and they suspected that I wasn't a citizen because of it), I am appalled that these Republicans who should have better things to do than demand apologies from our president would rather stoke the fires of this so-called controversy for political purposes instead of really rectify the issues raised about relations between minorities and law enforcement officials.
After hearing O'Donnell's excellent account, there can only be one conclusion-- that Prof. Gates was the victim of racial profiling.
I didn't like it when border agents kept asking the same old questions about my citizenship and even searched by car during two of those incidents (they found nothing both times), and I sure don't like what Prof. Gates went through.
And I DEFINITELY detest the despicable race baiting Republicans continue to wage not only against Prof. Gates, but against President Obama as well. All that must stop.

2 comments: