Thursday, July 30, 2009

Can You Believe These Texas (St)Rangers? They Beat M's, 7-1

When my wife and I first moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area 14 years ago, I never envisioned us attending a Texas Rangers game.
Sure, we lived only a few blocks from the Rangers' ballpark, but as I walked from our home to work and back all those years ago, I never envisioned that we'd find ourselves INSIDE the ballpark watching a game.
That happened last month as we watched the Rangers (who I call (St)Rangers) defeat the San Diego Padres in what turned out to be their only win in the series.
That got me hooked on following the (St)Rangers who are contending for a playoff berth after their 7-1 win today over the Seattle Mariners.
Having heard about the team's struggles the last few years, I never envisioned seeing the team three games back of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the AL West and only 1-1/2 games back of the Boston Red Sox in the wild card chase (the (St)Rangers are only one game back of the BoSox in the loss column).
But guess what? That's where this team is, and I sure like what I'm seeing.
Their pitching has definitely improved over the past few years, and their hitting is producing as well.
Are they going to get a postseason berth or even win the AL West? I don't know, but I definitely think Nolan Ryan deserves consideration as Major League Baseball's Executive of the Year.
In the just over one year Ryan has been a (St)Rangers executive, he has brought a new attitude to the pitching staff-- one in which the pitchers haven't been afraid to challenge opposing hitters by throwing inside to keep them honest (among other things).
Others have played their roles, but I like the work Ryan has done best. And I hope the (St)Rangers win the AL West.

No comments:

Post a Comment