Monday, August 24, 2009

Like The Trojans Or Not, You Can't Help But Notice Pete Carroll's Off-Field Accomplishments

It's been 16 years now since my wife and I moved from California into first Oklahoma and then Texas, but I still haven't gotten over my time in the Los Angeles area.
I followed just about every sports team there was in Los Angeles, especially the Dodgers and Lakers. I also followed both UCLA and USC sports.
Lately, I have marveled about the work Pete Carroll has done. No, it's not about the two national championships and tons of Pac-10 football titles he has won in his years with the Trojans, it's his work in the community near USC that deserves more than just mere kudos.
His work in the Los Angeles inner city near USC is well-documented on his web site, but what really got my attention as well is his work with a young man named Ricky Rosas.
Rosas may never wear the cardinal-and-gold of USC as a player, or even take a class in the shadows of the Tommy Trojan statue located at the center of the school, but you cannot overlook the effect this young has had with Carroll and his players through the past few years.
Here's a segment that was done about Rosas on the NBC Nightly News:

After seeing that, you can't help but fall in love with young Rosas. At the same time, you can't help but respect the job Carroll has done working with those who live in the immediate areas around USC and giving folks like Rosas a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment